Book hotels in advance. Hotel prices tend to rise during holidays and seasonal days. You can save 30-40 % by making a booking 2-3 months in advance.
2. Book hotels located near a public transport like a metro/station. Remember that large cities always have traffic jams. Thats why a metro/station can come in handy.
3. The hotel must be easily accessible from the airport/railway/seaport/carpark you are going to use.
4. Remember: the hotel must be reasonably priced, but not too cheap to avoid disappointments.
5. Dont be afraid to book the hotel by yourself. It is cheaper than using the travel agencies where they charge you with a commission. You will also have time to read hotel reviews on the Internet before making your choice.
6. Pay attention to the check in and check out time of the hotels. In general the hotels have a check-in time of 12.00 pm or later, while some tourists arrive at the city in the morning.
7. Once you have chosen your hotel, make sure you find a map or a tourist guide of the region. Most of the hotels will provide you with the information you need. That way you will have time to plan your vacation on an efficient way.
8. If you only plan to eat and sleep in the hotel choose a hotel near the centre of the city. If you are a creative person, consider to book a design hotel.
9. When you book hotels located in the centre of the city, make sure that the window is faced inside the hotel. That would allow you to avoid traffic noise during the night, which is a problem in the centre of the city.
10. Pay attention to small details: room service, smoking or not, check for noise isolation on the windows, availability of a swimming pool, gym and so on.
11. When booking a room in a warm country, make sure that the room has an air-conditioner. Often hotels only mention their air conditioning in the hotel facilities.
12. Try to find a hotel with a possibility to use a taxi transfer to the hotel. That way you dont pay too much for a local taxi. Besides, if you dont know the local language, you might even lose more time.